Sunday, March 1, 2009

Company in Japton

Me an Walter had company yesterday. Orvil Self an Luther Bailey rode by on their way up to Joplin to pick up some cows Orvil had bought. They had planned to har a couple of boys up there to help drive em back to Scott County an wondered if me an Walter might want to come along. I tole em ever since I taken that job with the telegraph that I hadn't had time to spit. Luther shook his head an said he knowed about that cause he helped run the first lines to Fort Smith for the Army there. We had a good visit. Orvil tole about when he would get all gussied up on Saturday an go into town. He bein a cattle buyer would muck around the feed lots all week but when he come to town he wore his town shoes with white socks. First place he would go after he had his breakfast at the Rock Cafe was to Herman Atchley's barber shop to get his shoes shinned. I was the shine boy there an I could shine a pair of boots to where they would hurt your eyes. When Orvil walked in with them black town shoes an white socks...wul I just come from together. They was no way I could get them shoes black an leave them socks white. We all had a good laugh specially Orvil. I thank he did that a purpose. I wrapped em up some biscuits an mustard for the trail an tole em to stop back by on the way back an tole em where to hole up their cows close by. It was sure good to see them boys...

No comments:

Post a Comment